Wednesday 17 October 2012

Some Time Off

One month on from Tango Ultra, and I'm still not doing much.  Not by choice.

Two weeks after the race, I joined a gym, Konami Sports in Sannomiya, and started lifting and swimming but no running.  The lifting was focused on the legs to add power/ strength for MDS.

Then, at the end of last week, I went for the first run.  Guess who was there to greet me?  My friend the 'funny hamstring feeling'!  Yay, welcome back!

This funny feeling started at the end of August after a 3hr 45min run which finished with a 30min hard effort.  After that, I could feel it (not painful) every morning, but it always loosened up after a few minutes of running,  so I didn't think it was major and didn't treat properly.  Well, I'm paying for it now.

Scouring the internet has led me to a small tear or strain in my hamstring (self diagnosis).  This calls for rest, icing and a recovery strategy.
- 2wks no leg weights and no cardio (no run, no bike, no swim)
- wk 3, introduce light weights and short cycle and swim
- wk 5 (mid-Nov), introduce short run and run/ cycle sessions

Some helpful articles and a video on injuries.
Heat vs. Ice
- Triathlete Injuries
- Hamstring Strains (Video)

No comments:

Post a Comment