Sunday 21 February 2016

Grades

Been a few good weeks of training. A bit of interruption from food poisoning last weekend, but in general, I'm getting in the sessions and feeling stronger by the week. One thing I'd throw out there though is that I'm definitely not sleeping enough.

I'm a morning person, and the day always feels more productive after starting out with exercise; however, waking up at 4-5am, Tue through Sat has really taken it's toll on me. Having recently hit 33, I'm sure this is a result of ageing as this never used to bother me, but I won't let it get me down. I refuse to bemoan old age. It's just a matter of understanding how my body is changing and adapting my workouts as needed.

As a result, I've decided to start grading my weeks based on the table below (click on the image to read it). Essentially, I'm grading each week based on four equally weighted categories (Training, Recovery, Diet and Sleep) with each category receiving a score of 1-4 (4 being best). Hopefully this will help me put equal focus on the different aspects that should help me improve performance and identify where I'm weak, which right now is sleep.


This past week (week 12 of 2016 training) scores a 2.75 out of 4.

Training, 2 - Missed a few sessions, a couple at the start as I was recovering from food poisoning and a couple at the weekend as I decided to skip Sat morning workouts to get some much needed sleep

Recovery, 3 - Have been laser focused on warm-up and cool-down/post training stretching. Took off a point as I'm feel just okay, not well-rested

Diet, 4 - Ate well all week with one unhealthy snack, ice cream today at Davey's here in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Awesome, homemade ice cream, you gotta try it!

Sleep, 2 - Averaged 7hrs 7min, which isn't bad, but there were two days in-a-row in the middle of the week where I barely got 6hrs, so that's not great

Working on adjusting my training schedule to help me get more z's. More to come next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment