Monday 21 January 2013

Week 10: Marathon des Sables

pic from www.wm.edu

"Life is ten percent what happens to you 
and ninety percent how you respond to it."
- Lou Holtz -


This week, training was good, 80km/ 50mi run and roughly 125km/ 78mi cycling.  It's nice that I'm sticking to weights and yoga unlike previous training where that fell by the wayside.  Hopefully it keeps going!

Week started rough with a 2hr run in what I thought was light showers and a 'bit' of wind.  Come to find out after, it was typhoon like weather.  Who knew!  Anyway, because of the cold and a poor choice of shirt, I finished with raw nipples.  Never fun.  Still running with band-aids.

Beyond that, some stiffness behind my left knee and slight lower back 'discomfort'.  The knee should be fine, just need more foam roller.  The back could be more concerning if it continues.  I think it's time for a sports massage and hopefully that works it out.

Sleep has not been good.  Generally, 6-7hrs per night and often tossing and turning.  Not ideal for recovery.  I think it's too much liquid, getting up to go to the bathroom.  Plan to cut down on liquid and find and extra hour of sleep somewhere.

Diet is fine.  Eating as I wish with some sweets everyday for the added calories.  I'm not focusing on weight/ body comp this time, but for comparison, I weighed in at 63kg/ 139lbs after some holiday indulgence.  We'll see where that is in April before the race.

On the mental side, finally getting my act together.
- Flights and Hotels booked, land a few days early to adjust to time and temp
- Notebook, purchased and started using
- Gear, have narrowed down the compulsory gear, now to compare in-store to online prices (biggest surprise, down sleeping bags are REAL expensive!)



Week 11 is an absorb week, so hoping the aches recover.





No comments:

Post a Comment