Monday 23 September 2013

Week 12: Kobe Marathon 2013

pic from sportsillustrated.cnn.com
There will be obstacles.
There will be doubters.
There will be mistakes.
But with hard work... THERE ARE NO LIMITS.
- Michael Phelps -

First, a round of applause for my beautiful fiancee who ran over a half marathon for the first time!  YAY!  She covered 24.5k and had enough energy to go out afterward.  Superb!

For me, training was surprisingly good this week.  The surprising part came from one of my best pace runs ever which followed a mere 5hrs of sleep.

Thursday morning started with some resistance, much like most of my sprint or pace sessions.  I can't explain why, I'm always a nervous about the discomfort/ pain that comes with these sessions I guess.

Anyway, I strapped on my 3-4kg bag and headed out.  For this session, I run from home to work and on the way take a 30min detour along one of the rivers where I can push the pace without worrying about traffic.  The river paths typically have a 1% gradient, I try to keep it even but if I have to, I try for more up than down.

I eventually got going and decided not to push as usual but rather focus on posture and breathing.  The first k was 4.35 above my 4.20 target pace.  A bit disappointed, but I stuck to the strategy.  From there, everything just rolled.  The second k was 3.53!  In the end, I covered about 7.5k in 30min at a pace of 4.07.  The best part, it felt really smooth (not easy, but smooth).

Man was I stoked for the rest of the day!

Other than that, I haven't been getting enough sleep this week, so we'll see if that impacts Mon and Tue long runs.

8 weeks to go and feeling good!

No comments:

Post a Comment