Tuesday 11 September 2012

Tango 100km Ultra Marathon - 9:19:59

See it larger by clicking
Here it is.  Less than one week, and I've finally nailed down Target A time, 9:19:59.  Based on previous years' results, this will put me top 30-ish out of 2,200 (almost top 1%, not bad!).

I've broken the race into 7 sections.  Enjoy.

4:30am start!
1) Slow & Steady (0-10km, 6min/km or 9.40/mi) - As always, but more so given this is my first ultra, I'll set a good base and not get to ahead of myself.  With two weeks of tapering and the excitement of race day, I'll be holding the legs back.   

The first section has a climb to 150m at 2-4% gradient, not dissimilar to a couple marathons I've done.  One example is NYC, where the initial climb isn't so high, but I took it for granted and blew up around 20mi as a result.  'Uh, can't afford to blow at 20mi this time, it's not even a third of the way!'


2) Solid Pace (10-35km, 5.24/km or 8.42/mi) - Relatively flat section, I'll use the down hill from Slow & Steady to roll into a relaxed but focused pace for the 25km.  I may find myself holding back still, but want to wait closer to 50km to push the pace if it's there.


3) Marathon 1 (35-45km, 6/km or 9.40/mi) - Looping back around, so running Slow&Steady in reverse.  Also, crossing the marathon threshold, so officially the farthest I've run in one go.  6min/km is an average for the climb and descent, so I figure I'll be moving well at the bottom of 45km and can use the momentum again to pace well in the next section.


4) Give or Take (45-60km, 5.30/km or 8.51/mi) - Another relatively flat section.  If I'm feeling good, I may pick up the pace a bit (5.30/km Give or Take a few secs), but only a bit, barely half-way at this point.


5) Separation Hill (60-70km, 7.15/km or 11.40/mi) - 420m of climbing over 10km (i.e. 4% grade), separating the men from the boys.  Keys to a successful climb: a) caffeine gel 20min before, b) forward lean, c) short efficient strides, d) head up and e) POSITIVE attitude!

I'm a solid climber and have put in a lot of hills on my long runs, so I'll be using that for a mental boost.  

Just realized why so many people sign up for the 60km run!


6) What Goes Up... (70-80km, 4.45/km or 7.40/mi) - must come down.  So, 420m down over 10km.  I'm planning to let rip a bit here; but given the late stage of the race and the grade, I'll have to be careful to avoid cramps.


7) The Box (80-100km, 5/km or 8/mi) - If the race has not already put me in the hurt box, I'll put myself there.  I'll play it by ear but knowing my tendency for the conservative, the plan is to go past the point where my mind wants to stop.  Easier said than done.


Stretch and B Targets - Always good to have back-up plans and pacing.  So, here we go. 

Stretch Target - In case I'm feeling extra-special, my stretch target is 9:09:59 which includes speeding up Give or Take and The Box.  

Target B - 9:50 which slows down most sections especially at the end assuming the race punches me in the face before shoving me in the hurt box!  The key, the race pack includes the name of all runners that ever ran sub-10hrs, so Target B still gets me into the annals of the Tango Ultra-marathon.  


Now, I just want to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment