Sunday 17 November 2013

2013 Kobe Marathon - 3.12.46

Post-marathon stream of consciousness.

finisher medals!

First, a huge congrats to Natsuko on her first marathon!  

I was able to watch her last couple k from the sideline, and she looked great.  

A couple minutes after the finish, she told me to ask her if she'd ever do it again.  So, I asked.  "Never," was her reply.

Understandable.

But, a few hours later, she mentioned wanting to improve her time and take a few years break before the next one.  At this rate, I figure we'll be signing up for another marathon by spring next year :)



I've failed over and over and over again in my life,
and that's why I succeed.

For me, a lot of good things came from today:
- lowered my PB by about 7min to 3.12.46
- no bathroom stops reinforcing my relatively new approach to nutrition
- pushed several k with a side stitch and then jogged the final k's despite it getting really bad

Despite all this, I feel an overwhelming sense of disappointment.  I didn't reach my goal time and when things got tough, I didn't commit and stick to my mantras and mental strategies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not down in the dumps hanging my head and kicking dirt, just hungry for the next one.  Full race report to come, but I ran well through 38km and then blew up.  So close.  One day, I will succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment