Saturday 16 November 2013

Weeks 19 & 20: Kobe Marathon

at the expo with the Kobe Marathon mascot 
You're body can do anything, 
it's just your brain that you have to convince.

Taper time and all is going great!  All of the niggles have melted away, I'm sleeping at least 7 and a half hours a night and regularly doing visualization.

The last couple of pace runs were excellent.  My legs felt really powerful.  Surprisingly powerful.

All signs looking good :)

goodie bag!

Goal Time - 3.08.59
If I hit this goal time, it'll be a personal best (PB) by about 10 minutes.  That may seem like a lot, but my last pure road marathon was New York City in 2009 before venturing into Ironman, ultra-marathons and adventure racing.

To be honest, 3.08.59 feels like a modest goal.  It won't be easy, but I feel I can run faster.  So, I'm going with a stretch goal time of 3.04.59.

Where do I come up with these times, you ask?  Well, 3.08.59 is the main goal as it's just under a Boston Marathon qualifying time.  Not that I'm planning to run Boston anytime soon, but I'd like to run the time.  The stretch goal is more competition.  My old training buddy, Alan, has a 3.05 PB, so I'd REALLY like to run under that.

As for strategy, I'm planning to go through half-way in 1.31.30 (4.20min km/ 7min miles).  At that point, I'll assess how I'm feeling and decide which time to go after.

map of the course

Mental Strategies
Following on from this post's quote and all the training, I know that I'm physically capable of running the stretch goal time.  But, it doesn't matter how much I believe this while sitting on my couch typing this post.  The only time it matters is from tomorrow's gun to the time I cross that finish line.  So, here are a few things I've done to prep.

> Running the course - I was lucky enough to get into a race in my home city.  So, I've run on the course 4 times feeling every last twist, turn and bump with my feet.  The first time didn't feel so great, but I have to say the next few times felt like the k's just flew by.  Hope that's a sign of things to come :)

> Mantras - "Embrace the suck." is a perfect quote from Chris McCormack about how to cope with those tough times in an endurance race.  Read more about McCormack's thoughts HERE.  For me, this is all about finding the mental strength to continue when your body and much of your brain wants to quit.

"You got to want to suffer." advice given to Luke McKenzie by Craig Alexander during last month's Ironman World Championship.  McKenzie was leading the race but in a low spot when he passed Alexander going the other way.  See McKenzie's post race interview HERE.

Sports Yokan, my race nutrition

Nutrition
I'll stick with what's worked in the past.  The week before the race, I limit my fiber intake, especially from two days before.  Also, I'll gradually start adding more carbs by switching my salad snack for fruit and increasing my carbs at meals for extra calories from the missing veg.

The night before is always pasta and tuna.  The sauce is usually just extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.

The race starts at 9am, so I'll be up at 5am for my rice and fish breakfast, lay down for a bit longer before getting up for a quick shower.  Then, it's a weak cup of coffee to get my brain and stomach going and out the door.

30mins prior to the race, I'll have a banana if I'm hungry and sip on a sports drink every 5-10mins.  For this race, Sports Yokan is my food nutrition of choice.  Yokan is a popular sweet in Japan, and this product has been adapted for racing.  I used it in the Sahara and it was perfect: not much flavor, easy to eat on the run, settles well and has more calories than standard gels so I don't have to eat as often .


Thanks for listening everyone.

I guess all that's left to do is enjoy 42.2!



No comments:

Post a Comment