Monday 14 July 2014

Perseverance

Had a tough swim yesterday, but broke it down into small pieces and slowly finished.  It felt great!
Ala Moana Beach Park
pic from www.to-hawaii.com
Being new to ocean swimming, I'm still getting comfortable being out there in the waves, in the vastness, sometimes all alone.  It's getting better, but there are still some fears (slightly unreasonable, I know) of being swept out to sea or bitten by something.  Anyway, yesterday was a mentally off day.  I wasn't 100% focused but had already decided to go for a 2k+ swim.

I got in the water just fine but within a few hundred meters my mind was battling, 'why are you doing this?' 'is this really enjoyable?' 'why don't you just quit?'  To fight off the negative thoughts, I decided to swim to the other end, 1k, and then stop and see how I was feeling.

Made the 1k and was feeling better, more relaxed.  So, I picked out a buoy and decided to swim there.  Got to that buoy, felt good, 'okay, let's go for the next buoy.'  After the next one, I decided to pick up the pace, 'wow, this is great!'

Finally, the shore where I started was within sight and the full 2k+ was completed.

Physically, exhausted.  Mentally, ecstatic!

Moral that I'll take from the day (also applicable to my job search), just keep going.  Break it down into little goals and pick them off one at a time.  You'll get there :)

30/30/30 Goal
Swim 15
Bike 4
Run 30+

No comments:

Post a Comment