Thursday 7 February 2013

Overcome It

pic from www.clipartof.com

Today was the first truly bad mental day.  The lack of sleep has left me short of energy and with a limited attention span.  It all came to a head in today's 2hr sprint session.

1) Started late - slow in the morning, so got a late start which always unsettles the nerves
2) Left calf - not even 1min in, discomfort begins, queue a cycling brain
3) Sprints - fell short of hitting all of the sprint times, queue questions of whether I'm 'committed'
4) Gear - water bottle strapped to the bag was bouncing around causing despair about what gear will work
5) Tuned out - around 90mins in my focus was gone with slow reactions and being startled by any noise louder than a mouse

But, in the end, I covered 22km/ 13mi with 4x5min sprints and topped it off with a 60min core and weight session.  Not feeling fresh physically, but mentally, finishing was a boost.  As a treat for overcoming the negativity, I've taken tomorrow morning off work and will sleep without an alarm.  If I wake up in time to train and my calf feels alright, I'll do the walk session.  If not, it won't be missed.

Well, I'll need experiences like today to make it through the desert.  Hopefully more of these to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment