Tuesday 19 February 2013

Week 14: Marathon des Sables

pic from www.tumbler.com

Some people dream of success... others stay awake to achieve it.


A tough week indeed.  Mentally, it was mostly negative.  Mon and Tue long sessions were full of 'can I do this?' and 'why am I doing this?'  Aches and pains only added fuel to the fire including Tue's sure sign of over-use, sore knees.  It didn't get better for the interval sessions.  But, thinking of the sacrifice from others (particularly Natsuko) and motivation from role models (Craig Alexander and James Cracknell to name a couple), I pushed through and even ran the intervals well.

Made it through in one piece and feeling better for it, 'banking memories for tough times in the desert.'

Overall, covered 152k/ 95m (102k/ 64m run, 30k/ 19m walk, 20k/ 12m cycle).  I'm now running with 6-8kg on my back (6 for long, up to 8 for intervals) and will probably stay at this level to avoid anymore stress on my body.

Health & Nutrition
Getting some new/ odd niggles.
1) Long runs, left leg (as always!) was giving me problems, this time the calf.  But, a bit of extra stretching and it's better.  I expect this to continue on long days.
2) On Thu's run, got a sharp pain in the arch of my left foot.  It wasn't unfamiliar, but usually it comes and goes within steps.  To my surprise, it was still with me an hour later.  It eventually went, and let's hope for good.
3) After Fri's walk, a stiffness hit the top, outside of my ankle.  It felt the same as shin splints, just not on the shins!  Iced it, massaged it and it's gone.

We'll see what this week has in store.

As mentioned before, I've started clean diet though not as strict as in the past.  However, I have been using the bathroom a lot in sessions (almost once an hour), so I'm cutting the calories from about 3500 a day to 3000.  Also, had to give some leeway for the incredible valentine's raw chocolate and fig treat that Natsuko cooked up!



MDS: Gear
This week, I got my MDS gaiters!  Now I just need some trail shoes to put them on!  Other than the shoes, the major outstanding item is figuring out how to carry two water bottles.  I've got one with the Osprey Aqua Stow (below on the right) and working on the other.  Hope to finish this in the next couple of weeks.

back from 4.5hr session
MDS: Food
Working out a strategy, but here are thoughts so far:
- breakfast: oats in water with dried fruit and almonds or peanuts
- lunch (on the run): a mix of gels, Clif Bars, squeezable peanut butter and sausage
- recovery: Maxload whey protein with branch chain amino acids (BCAAs) plus extra aminos
- dinner: various dried rice, veg and meat meals


Sorry to blog your ear off.


No comments:

Post a Comment