Monday 4 February 2013

Week 12: Marathon des Sables

pic from www.rebellesociety.com
"Forever is composed of nows."
- Emily Dickinson -

Finally picked up a lot of gear and testing it out.  Some things work, some not.  Hope to go into this more later.  The main outstanding item is trail running shoes (really?!?).  Hopefully next week.

Training was good covering about 116k/ 72.5m (87k/ 54.5m running, 21k/ 13m walk, 8k/ 5m cycle).  The turbo trainer going haywire may have been a blessing as walking gives me more time on my feet.  Also, walk only Thu sessions will be with a 10kg bag to get a feel for carrying a full pack. 

No indications of injury, but I've picked up some blisters which is actually a good thing.  Yeah, good thing.  Add this to one of my naiveties.  I've never had painful blisters.  Not even for the 100k ultra.  But, add time on the sand and voila, blisters!  So, I'm learning how to handle these (better at home than in the desert!). 

Sleep still not good.  I don't see this changing soon, so until I say otherwise, assume sleep is sub-optimal (6-7hrs).

Nutrition is fine taking on 3000 - 4000cal daily depending on training.  I haven't been weighing or taking bf%, but visually, I'm heading in the right direction.  Week 13 will be the last of open diet.  After that, it's no more nutritionally void foods which recently have been sweet breads, peanut butter cups and even McDonald's!  That's right, I ate a full meal at McDonald's for the first time in years.  Kind of a funny story, it took me two days to build up the courage.  I tried on Mon, but a hugely overwhelming guilt turned me around.  I had another go on Tue and success!  I ate me first Big Mac!  It wasn't anything special. The calories were great.

Onward and upward.  Have a great week all.


No comments:

Post a Comment