Sunday 3 March 2013

Week 16: Marathon des Sables

http://askdaguru1.blogspot.com

"Discipline is the fuel of achievement."


All in all, a good week.  It started with a 50km Monday followed by some social life.  Yeah, I said social life!  We went to see Fun. in concert.  In case you don't recognize the band name, I'm sure you've heard at least one song (video below).  The venue was small and the set was awesome!


Anyway, total for the week was 169km/ 105mi (122k/ 76m run, 27k/ 17m walk, 20k/ 12m cycle) which by my calculation is the farthest I've ever run in a week.  Woo hoo!

Following week 15, my left leg was stiff and a bit swollen.  Take a rest you say?  I've got a better idea, just run easy: dropped pack weight to 1-2kg, stuck to packed trails avoiding pavement where possible and reduced time on the sand.  Generally, it worked.  Leg was no worse at the end of nearly 100km over the first two days of the week.  From there, I spent every extra second stretching, icing and compression gearing my legs.

Ready to go for week 17!

Health & Nutrition
Other than the left leg, everything is pretty under control.  Even my feet which were hosting blisters inside of blisters inside of blisters (really?!?  yeah!) have improved.

Pretty full on with the clean diet.  Example: for lunch today, I picked up a fried pork, rice and salad lunch from the store shelf only to guilt myself out of it on the way to the register.  I sheepishly put it back on the shelf and grabbed the salmon version.  I feel much better for it.

MDS Gear
Through lots of research, I've narrowed my shoe search with first choice being Brooks Cascadia 7.   Found a trail running shop in Osaka with a good selection, so heading there on Tue to pick them up (hopefully!).  Other than that, hoping to finalize most of the shopping this week.  Maybe I'll have time soon to go into more detail.

MDS Food
Fine tuning with possible changes below.

- breakfast: maybe alternate between Calorie Mate (popular meal replacement in Japan) and oats
- lunch (on the run): probably add raisins and other dried fruits
- recovery: maybe drop the extra aminos because I can't stomach them after really long runs
- dinner: various dried rice, veg and meat meals (same)



No comments:

Post a Comment