Sunday 24 March 2013

Week 19: Marathon des Sables

www.artsofinnovation.com

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
- T.S. Eliot -


More funds rolled in this week to help Great Mercy Orphanage become more self-sustaining.  Thanks all!  We're almost 40% of the way to our £2,000 goal!

Check out more HERE.


(Deep voice booming to drum-roll)  "Will runner 1093 of the 28th MDS please stand up."  

That's right, lucky number 1093!  Runners are able to receive emails in the desert, so you'll need my number to write an encouraging note, funny story or anything else.  I'll post more later on how to stay in touch while I'm in the desert.

On training, this week my legs felt fresh, if a bit slow, over the 85k/ 53m of running.  Not much else to add.

Health & Nutrition
All the issues from last week are gone but picked up an interesting new one.  The lower front left part of my right shin was red and swollen.  It looked like a bad bug bite, but it was coming from inside (a tendon?).  I had shin splints a long time ago, this was similar but more painful and lower on the leg.  Well, taking the advice of a 9-time MDS vet, "It's better to show up to the desert healthy and under-trained than injured," I took two days off in a row (can you believe it?!?) to let it rest.  By Sat, it was back to 100%.  Weird.


MDS Gear
Planning to make the final purchases Mon and Tue and be ready to go!  Unofficial weigh-in is just under 8kg/ 17.6lb without water and some of the extras that the organizer provides (race book, emergency flare and salts).  Happy with this weight.


MDS Food
Tested out the desert diet and it went down well.  The first couple days left me a little cranky on lack of calories, about 2200 each day, so I've added some more to bring my daily average intake to just under 2600cal.

mmm...

Next week begins acclimitization.  I wonder if there's a rule against squat thrusts in the sauna?




No comments:

Post a Comment