Sunday 17 March 2013

Week 18: Marathon des Sables

www.vosizneias.com

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up. "
- Babe Ruth -

Thank you to those who have supported the children at Great Mercy Orphanage :)  We're almost 25% to our £2,000 goal!

If you haven't had a chance, please checkout the FUNDRAISING PAGE.



As for training, it was an amazing week.  In 5 days, I ran 150k/ 94m having cut the walk and bike.  The amazing part was that on all but one of the runs, I wanted to keep going.  It was a good feeling.

Mon - took a rest day in an effort to get rid of this lingering cold

Tue - 50k/ 31m, trying to make sure the cold is gone, I reduced the planned 5hr run to 3hrs and set off.  The sun was shining, and I was feeling peppy, so pushed it to 4hrs. 'Maybe 5hrs?  No way, don't want to push too much.'  Got home after 4hrs, mentioned I was feeling great and didn't want to stop, so Natsuko said, "So, keep going."  'Okay, don't have to tell me twice!'  With that, I took off for another hour.

Wed - 27k/ 17m, 6x5min sprints, wasn't easy to get going, but eventually got rolling and was feeling great, other than one speed bump.  Mid-sprint 3, going uphill, my bag came open and my things flying out!  I stood for a moment, stunned.  Realizing what happened, I slowly gathered my stuff, secured the bag, let off a smile and a chuckle and continued on.

Thu - 40k/ 25m, felt good, didn't want to stop.

Fri and Sat were pretty standard and Sun was time for rest.

Health & Nutrition
Banged up after a long week, but nothing that won't recover over the taper
1) left leg, swollen behind the knee likely due to the nerve problem picked up during the Tango ultra
2) left ankle, rolled it halfway through Thu's run, but is almost back to 100%
3) right knee, front of the knee is swollen and tender, no idea why, hope it'll recover during the taper (just in time to push it further in the desert!)

Sleep is officially better!  Getting at least 7, sometimes 8 and occasionally 9hrs of sleep.  It's amazing how far that extra sleep goes.

Diet is still clean, though took a slight detour for chocolates I received from a student.  The big news, I'm kicking coffee to the side.  Really?!?  Yeah.  The first few days were headache city as I went through withdrawal and tried to hide my yawns throughout work.  It's getting better.

MDS Gear
Have done a couple sessions in the Cascadias and they run nicely.  Honestly, it wasn't love at first step, but that's probably because I went a half size big.  Due to the heat of the desert and pounding of the distance, many people's feet swell.  Generally, they recommend going one US/ UK size bigger (2 sizes if you measure in mm), but your feet get wider, not longer, and with already slim feet, a half size should do me just fine.  After the initial awkward phase, we're quickly becoming good friends.

Other than that, I picked up a solar powered charger to keep my Garmin (and possibly new iPod touch) powered through the race.



MDS Food
Almost finalized on the race diet.  Looking at an average just under 2,500cal a day, which may be on the heavy side, but it's my first time in this kind of race, so I want to be sure.  I'll test out the race diet for 6 days from Thu this week.  We'll see how it goes.


Hard to believe, but it's time to taper!!


No comments:

Post a Comment