Saturday 4 May 2013

Stage 1: Marathon des Sables

Related Posts
From the dessert:  Check-in, Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5
Post-race report:  Pre-race, Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4 (1)Stage 4 (2)Stage 4 (3)Stage 5


Stage 1: 37.2km, a little of everything (rocks, sand, dunes and climbs)

living on the sun's time, one of the best parts
Race day!  Up with the sun and anxious buzz of 1,000 finely tuned desert adventurers.  6am and straight to breakfast to give my stomach time to digest for an 8.30 start.  Oats with luke warm water  (yummy!), dried fruit and almonds followed by packing.  Over an hour of prep and packing: brush teeth, bathroom, sunscreen, hat, buff, glasses, shoes, gaiters, packing, de-packing, re-packing...



The morning was chilly (maybe 15C/ 60F), so I was reluctant to lose my long sleeve shirts, but they had to be packed.  All part of the de/ re-packing.

all set!
Tent 58 feeling the excitement
Then, finally, after all the training, hype and anticipation, it's time for the start line!

pic by Mark Gillett
Standing there was awesome.  The heart and soul of not only the 1,024 runners, but also the love and support of everyones family and friends, it was intensely fantastic!  With that, the words of our leader Jay rang in my brain, "Too many people take it out too fast on day 1."  Suddenly, this was overtaken by AC/DC's Highway to Hell, which could only mean one thing: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO!

From the start to checkpoint 1 (CP1), it was all a blur, 'take it easy, short strides, electrolytes, salts, drink, breathe.'  Though I do remember seemingly hundreds of people streaming past me, looking at my watch and seeing a sub 7min/k pace, 'now I understand Jay's advice.'


checkpoint water pickup
pic from  www.darbaroud.com
checkpoint grabbing some shade
pic from  www.darbaroud.com
I arrived at the CP1 with a lot of water still in my bottles, but I was feeling fine, so only topped up, chugged a bit and dumped the rest (big mistake!).  On I went.

Managing about 6.30min/k, I was feeling fantastic.  Then, we hit a proper climb which continued for about 1.5km.  I didn't want to walk, but all the vets say walking the hills is to conserve, so I did.  Man, was I happy I did a few k later when we hit dunes.  They weren't terrible, but they did seem to drag on, especially after I had slowed to a walk.  Running up these things was pointless and the breaks in between were so short any walk/ surge, walk/surge strategy cost more energy than the time was worth.

Coming in to CP2, the greatness had washed away.  Stomach was iffy (pit stop 1) and head was a little light.  But, some greetings and encouraging words from the volunteers lifted my spirit.

Unfortunately, the boost was temporary.  A few k and two more pit stops later (NOTE: 'I knew you ate too much pre-race!!) I was down.  Pretty light-headed at this point and low morale from all the stopping, I dropped to a run/ walk strategy.

The walk was all about deep breathing and recover for the run.  Took some time, but I snapped out of it.  Still with the walk/ run, but I was now overtaking people, feeling strong and giving encouragement to anyone who needed it.

Just after 30k, I came upon another American and shouted some positive words.  It wasn't until I was a few meters passed that I realized it was a tent mate.   We had a brief chat, she was struggling and asked me to pass a message to some friends.  I offered salts and continued.  I was so far inside myself that her message didn't ring out until a couple hundred meters later, 'sick, dizzy, not thirsty'.  What was I doing?!?  I turned and walked back.

We joined up and walked together to a medical truck where they ran some tests: vitals and blood sugar okay.  She took down a concentrated salt solution, and we continued on our way.  The whole process took 15 to 20min, and I'd be lying if I said part of me didn't want to take off, but more of me wanted to stay and make sure we both finished the day.  It was in that time, sat on a rather uncomfortable rock under a blazing sun and slight shade of the medic jeep that I learned a whole lot about this race: support, teamwork, friendship.  That's what'll get me through the week.

The medics walked us to the top of the hill, made us promise to walk to the finish and let us go.  1k later, she turned to me, 'Wow, I'm feeling so much better.  Let's run it in.'  So we did.

Stage time:  5.08.18
Stage place:  255

Overall time:  5.08.18
Overall place:  255


 

No comments:

Post a Comment