Sunday 19 May 2013

Stage 4 (cont): Marathon des Sables

Related Posts
From the dessert:  Check-in, Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5




CP4, standing in some shade, I could sense the gas tank was still full, 'keep it steady, bide time til the sun goes down.'

On the other side of 4 was more dunes.  YAY!  This time, however, would be more of a struggle.  Just past half of the 7k dune section, I began to think it would never end.  Then, luckily, I spotted that orange cut-off shirt I had come to know so well, 'Glenn!'

pic by Mark Gillett
It had been some time since I spoke to anyone, and this was a pleasant surprise.  We exchanged a couple stories, some motivational quotes and went our separate ways.

I reconnected with those Hoka footprints and followed them straight out of the dunes and onto solid ground.  Almost immediately, my legs began churning faster, 'this is what I've been waiting for!'

With 21k to go, shadows were getting longer, temp was hot but getting cooler and mostly hard ground from here, 'time to loosen up.'

The  run in the run/ walk was getting faster and longer.  Passing a lot of people, my confidence was building.  Running on flat, rocky terrain, I was flying into CP6 (relatively speaking).


BEST RUN OF MY LIFE

It wasn't dark, but getting there, so I dropped my pack in CP6, got rid of my buff and hat, put on the head lamp and fixed the mandatory glow-stick to my pack.  As I was doing so, the 5th and 6th elites came in.  They were quick to take off  and it dawned on me, 'following the other guy's tracks through the dunes worked superbly.  It's getting dark and sandy here, so follow these guys.'  Jumping to my feet, I locked my eyes on them and took off.

pic by Mark Gillett
Stride, stride, stride, 'breath deep, hold core, loosen legs.'  Leaving the walking behind, I was only thinking one thing, keep them in sight as long as possible.

After 2k, I noticed they hadn't pulled away.  'Wait, am I gaining on them?'

Another k, check my watch, 6min/k, 'not bad'.

Further along, I caught up to them, 'really?!?  What do I do?'  So, I did the only thing I wanted to do.  Ran right past them!

5k to go, racing between clumps of camel grass, lungs pounding and heart racing, I decided on one last walk break before pushing for the finish.

30 seconds and they passed again.  Of course, I went with them.

"Hey, there go a few of the elites," I heard from a group Brits as we passed.  Fully aware the men I was running with exist in a different stratosphere and had started 3 hours after me,  I knew the Brits had mistakenly included me in the comment, but that didn't make it any less cool :)

Another k down the road and now fully dark, I was running well but stumbling over rocks that I just couldn't see.  'Okay, this has been incredible, but unless you want to end up face down 4k from the finish, you better slow down.'  So, I did.

Down to 7min/ k, the real elites pulled away, and I was left to enjoy the darkness alone.

pic by Mark Gillett

FINISH

Continuing toward the white light on the horizon, it wasn't getting any closer.  Struggling a bit, I started a game to keep me engaged, 'you want to finish this stage top 100, right?  The guy in front of you is 99, you're 100.  Better get moving!'

This continued with each successive person until that white light began to get closer.  I couldn't believe it.


Just over 11.5hrs and my day was done.

Sweet Moroccan tea.  Elated.  Exhausted.  Tent.  Eat.  Drink.  Sleep.


Stage time:  11.31.16
Stage place:  107

Overall time:  27.28.59

No comments:

Post a Comment