Thursday 9 May 2013

Stage 2: Marathon des Sables

Related Posts
From the dessert:  Check-in, Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5


Stage 2: 30.7km, mountain, mountain, mountain

After a decent night of sleep, it was straight to the oats.  'Wow, running 40k sure makes it easier to sleep on rocks!'  Feeling okay, it was morning routine time: eat and organize while still in the sleeping bag, roll the bag, water pick-up, brush, pack, bathroom, water bottles and to the start.

Mentally, I was excited for the mountain stage.  On the road, I fancy myself a climber, so was hoping that may give me a leg up.  The only concern was never having done a proper off-road race and my overly cautious approach to anything remotely technical.  Was hoping the first would outweigh the second.

Anyway, AC/DC came calling and it was on.

pic by Mark Gillett
The first 7k were relatively flat, so plan was run to the first mountain, then walk the inclines and run where possible.  Shortly after the start, I was quickly realizing that flat in the desert, doesn't mean easy.  The road book said 'flat terrain with few stones' and 'some stones' which is interesting.  There was no space anywhere for a single flat footed step!  (somehow, secretly, this grows on you :)

Mountain 1, Hered Asfer Jebel - not difficult or technical, just long and beautiful.

excellent pic from Jean, new friend and fellow racer
Feeling okay after the first climb and descent, I jogged it into CP1, 12k.  Heading out, it was getting hot, so walk/ jog to take in food and make sure I was getting enough water.

Mountain 2, Joua Baba Ali Jebel 
Hit the second and this is where I began to realize I'm not equipped to race this race.  Getting up the mountain was a struggle almost falling backward at some points.  Once at the top, my core was aching.

A technical 2k on what seemed like a knife's edge (one of the best and hardest parts of the week).  That whole bit about climbing outweighing technical skills.  Forget it.

another pic from Jean
coming down the other side
CLICK FOR A BETTER VIEW!
pic by Mark Gillett
People either blowing by me or noticeably frustrated to be stuck behind a slug on a single track, I came off the second mountain tired and low on self-esteem.  Luckily, I happened upon Glenn who was nice enough to share a few macadamia nuts.  'So salty, these are awesome!'

Mountain 3, El Otfal Jebel, 25% avg gradient
CP2 was at 24k, just before the monster that everyone talks about.  This was one of the things I was looking forward to the most, and boy was I excited!

Looking at the mountain, I broke it into 3 sections: rocky start, sandy middle and rocky finish on all fours.

Rocky start was long, started with a low gradient and slowly built.

near switch from Rocky Start to Sandy Middle
click to see the trail of people back to CP2
pic from Glenn, cheers bud!
At the end of rocky start, I stopped for a few minutes to catch my breath and take in the scenery.  Then, it was time to churn my legs.

On reaching the start of the rocky finish, I stopped for another break.  Between hand holds, friendly chat, strains, awkward positions, more breaks, grunts and a few smiles, I got to the top.  Maybe one of the most difficult things I've ever done, and totally worth it.

pic from www.darboud.com
oh yeah, after all fours, there's a final push through sand to the summit
the sand's so fine and gradient so steep, they gave us a rope
pic by Mark Gillett
me at the top, view was awesome
pic by Mark Gillett
At the top.  Unreal.

Thinking the toughest part was behind me, I took one last glimpse and began to descend.  Unfortunately, the toll of the day was catching-up.  As the elevation lowered, so did my attitude.

On hitting the bottom, I had relegated myself to walking the final 3k.  Looking forward to flat walking, I soon realized what was ahead.


Any wind I had in my sails, officially blew out.  Looking every which way for some shade to take a break, there was nothing.  Stomach churning, legs weak, light-headed, 'this must be the last one.'  Reaching the top, 'uhhh, more to go.'  Trying to focus on my breathing, it reached a point I'd never experienced.  Eyes closing.  Hard to keep them open.  Falling asleep?!?

Reciting every last positive quote I could remember, eventually hit the flat.  'Okay, I can do this.  Just under a k.'  Better, but still struggling, a friendly face pulled up beside me, "Ahh, Glenn."  I didn't want to let on how bad I was, so I tried chatting, "Want to jog it in?"  'Really?!?'  I couldn't take it back, so we jogged.

Over the finish, and I was not good.  Queazy.  Fidgety.  'How will I carry 4.5l of water back to the tent?'  I plopped in a chair in the shade at the water tent.  After a while, I stammered to my feet, got my water and headed for the tent.

Once there, I greeted my tent mates with two things on my mind: 'don't let'm see you sweat' and rest.  Little talking, no recovery food, no stretching.  Music, lay down, close eyes.

Stage time:  5.16.11
Stage place: 293

Overall time: 10:24.29

No comments:

Post a Comment