Tuesday 21 May 2013

Stage 4 (Day 2): Marathon des Sables

Related Posts
From the dessert:  Check-in, Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3Stage 4Stage 5

This video and the music sums up day 2 of the long stage.  It begins with triumph as racers victoriously emerge one by one.  Around 45secs into the video, the feeling and images pan to those of runners who finished on day 1: wander, rest, eat and sleep.

Tent 58 started our day welcoming home our last member.  It was a cool when we went together to greet him at the finish.  It's amazing that such bond can be formed in only a few days.  It reminds me of an excellent quote from Ken Chlouber, miner and creator of the Leadville 100:

"Make friends with pain, and you'll never be alone."

After we were all safe and sound, I spent the day stretching, lounging and eating.  Unfortunately, it wasn't an all-you-can-eat.  Far from it.  I took the idea from a tent mate and spread my food over the day, about 100cal per hour.  This way, I was never to far from a meal :)  Between "meals", I thought to myself, 'how amusing.  We all just ran 76k, 105k over three days before that, have a desert marathon tomorrow and we're scrounging for calories.'

what's with the massively long line?
Oh, and how could I forget, the can of Coke that the organization so gracioulsy bestowed on each runner at 4pm.  It was the talk of the day.  Simple pleasures.

Ahh, now I get it!
best Coke on the planet is in the Sahara,
just have to run 180k in 4 days to get it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment