Tuesday 5 June 2012

Intervals



A quick post following my first interval session.  It’s been a while since I’ve done this properly, so my pacing is off and before today, I was worried that I lost speed.

Today’s session was 1x 5min interval at half marathon pace, 4.02min/km or 6.27min/ mi.  The first 45mins was easy after which I built into the interval with hesitance, ‘can my lungs handle this’ ‘can my body handle this’ ‘wow, from nothing to 5mins’ etc.

Soon those thoughts didn’t matter because the interval had begun.  Focusing on form, I pushed the speed, not a sprint but going pretty hard.  Legs flailing, brain focus waning, ‘get it together, it’s one 5min interval.  Focus on form and let the speed end up where it may.’

Watch beeping, the first km of the interval was done, 3.53!  I couldn’t believe it.  A huge boost for the last 67seconds.

Post interval, I finished easy with a big smile on my face, ‘some speed still there, now time to build on it.’

No comments:

Post a Comment